Keeping Groundwater From Intruding on Your Home



Water is a home’s worst enemy. Today, I wanted to show you how to keep groundwater out of your home using my house as a live example.

Buying a Kansas City home? Get a full home search
 Selling your Kansas City home? Get a free Home Price Evaluation

Groundwater in your basement is an issue that nobody wants to deal with, so today I have some preventative maintenance tips that I wanted to share.

Water is a home’s worst enemy and it can get in three ways: your roof, plumbing leaks, or groundwater.

To get water to shed when there’s heavy rain, you need one inch of drop per foot. As you can see in the video above, there’s a spot near my home’s downspout where water will pool and try to get into my basement when it rains.

I’ve started by adding some dirt to divert water. I’ve brought in a dump truck’s worth of dirt, but $1.33 per bag at a hardware store will take care of it too.
Water is a home’s worst enemy.
I created a nice slope that will keep water from pooling when it rains. Some people would say that this is what a sump pump is for, but the best sump pumps to have are the ones that never have to run!

If you have any other questions about preventing groundwater from getting into your house or you’re thinking of buying or selling a home here in the Kansas City area, give me a call or send me an email. I’m always here to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment